Titans, the gritty live-action adaptation of DC’s Teen Titans, has been a hit show on HBO Max since its debut in 2018. The show follows a group of young superheroes led by Dick Grayson, aka Nightwing, as they face various threats and challenges in their lives. The show has featured iconic characters from the DC universe, such as Batman, Deathstroke, Superboy, Starfire, Raven, Beast Boy, and more.
The fourth season of Titans ended with a shocking cliffhanger that left fans wondering about the fate of their favorite heroes. Will there be a fifth season of Titans? What will happen next? Who will join or leave the team? Here’s everything we know so far about Titans Season 5.
Titans Season 5 Plot: What’s next?
The fourth season of Titans concluded with a massive battle between the Titans and the Legion of Doom, a team of supervillains led by Lex Luthor. The Legion had kidnapped Superboy and used his DNA to create an army of clones that attacked the Titans’ headquarters. The Titans managed to stop the invasion, but at a terrible cost: Donna Troy, aka Wonder Girl, sacrificed herself to save her friends.
The final scene of the season showed Donna’s body being taken away by Raven and a mysterious woman, who revealed herself to be Donna’s mother, Queen Hippolyta of Themyscira. Raven said she was going to use her magic to try to revive Donna, while Hippolyta invited her to join the Amazons.
Meanwhile, Dick Grayson proposed to Kory Anders, aka Starfire, who accepted his offer. However, their happiness was interrupted by the arrival of Blackfire, Kory’s evil sister who had escaped from prison. Blackfire claimed she wanted to make peace with Kory, but it was clear she had ulterior motives.
The season also introduced new characters, such as Tim Drake, a young fan of Batman who became the third Robin; Barbara Gordon, the former Batgirl who became the commissioner of Gotham City; and Jonathan Crane, aka Scarecrow, a former ally of Batman who turned into a psychotic mastermind.
What will happen in Titans Season 5? According to showrunner Greg Walker, the fifth season will explore more of the Titans’ history and mythology, as well as introduce new villains and allies. Walker revealed that he had plans to bring in characters such as Tara Markov, aka Terra, a powerful earth manipulator who betrayed the Titans in the comics; The Fearsome Five, a group of villains who fought against the Titans; and Roy Harper, aka Arsenal, a former sidekick of Green Arrow who joined the Titans.
Walker also hinted that Donna Troy might return from the dead, thanks to Raven’s magic and Hippolyta’s help. He said that Donna’s resurrection would have consequences for her and her teammates. He also teased that Blackfire would play a major role in the next season, as she would try to manipulate Kory and cause trouble for the Titans.
Titans Season 5 Cast: Who’s in it?
The main cast of Titans is expected to return for the fifth season, including:
- Brenton Thwaites as Dick Grayson/Nightwing
- Anna Diop as Kory Anders/Starfire
- Teagan Croft as Rachel Roth/Raven
- Ryan Potter as Gar Logan/Beast Boy
- Joshua Orpin as Conner Kent/Superboy
- Curran Walters as Jason Todd/Red Hood
- Jay Lycurgo as Tim Drake/Robin
- Conor Leslie as Donna Troy/Wonder Girl
- Savannah Welch as Barbara Gordon/Oracle
- Vincent Kartheiser as Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow
- Damaris Lewis as Komand’r/Blackfire
It is also possible that some recurring or guest stars from previous seasons might reprise their roles in the fifth season, such as:
- Iain Glen as Bruce Wayne/Batman
- Esai Morales as Slade Wilson/Deathstroke
- Minka Kelly as Dawn Granger/Dove
- Alan Ritchson as Hank Hall/Hawk
- Franka Potente as Mother Mayhem
Additionally, new cast members might join the show to portray new characters that will be introduced in the fifth season. However, no official announcements have been made yet regarding the casting for Titans Season 5.
Will there be Titans Season 5?
Seeing the Titans’ interpretation of Tara Markov and The Fearsome Five in live-action would have been captivating, especially considering how Season 4 showcased the team’s strong bond.
Although Season 4 concluded with individual storylines for some members, the potential threat of The Fearsome Five or a new member like Tara, who would eventually betray them, could have provided an opportunity for the team to reunite and face a common challenge.
The series bid a heartfelt farewell to fans in its emotional yet uplifting finale, leaving us uncertain if these characters or storylines will ever be revisited.
Regrettably, the DCU’s new direction makes it unlikely for the Titans to return to the screen anytime soon. Interestingly, James Gunn mentioned that the decision to cancel the show was made even before he and Peter Safran joined DC Studios.
However, if James Gunn’s new DCU were to embark on a grand Crisis On Infinite Earths storyline in the future, it might offer a chance to witness this version of the Titans making brief cameos as a tribute to their remarkable journey.
For now, fans can enjoy streaming Titans Season 4 on HBO Max.
Titans Season 5 Release Date: Speculation!
During an interview with Screen Rant, Titans showrunner Greg Walker discussed his potential plans for Season 5 of the series had it not been canceled by HBO Max.
When questioned about potential villains for Season 5, Walker confirmed that The Fearsome Five and Tara were under consideration, emphasizing the need to explore characters within the Titans universe: “We did consider The Fearsome Five and Tara as possible options. However, with certain limitations in place, such as the Bat-Family being off-limits, we had to focus on mining characters from within the Titans world. There were still intriguing possibilities, but it required thoughtful consideration on how to execute them intelligently.”
Addressing the idea of introducing Tara, Walker pointed out the challenges posed by her powerful abilities, especially in terms of visual effects: “We were interested in exploring Tara, but her earth-manipulating powers presented some constraints, particularly in terms of demanding VFX. We had to find ways to work around those limitations while ensuring an enjoyable experience for the fans.”
For those unfamiliar with the characters, in DC Comics, Tara Markov, also known as Terra, initially served as a member of the Teen Titans but ultimately betrayed them under the manipulation of Slade Wilson, also known as Deathstroke. Her abilities allow her to manipulate the earth in various forms.
As for The Fearsome Five, they are a group of villains brought together by Doctor Light to defeat the Teen Titans. The team includes Doctor Light, Gizmo, Shimmer, Mammoth, and Psimon.
When asked about potential Teen Titans members they considered introducing, Walker revealed that Roy Harper, known as Arsenal, was a candidate they discussed extensively. He clarified that there was a possibility of incorporating Roy into the series, but negotiations hadn’t yet begun: “Roy Harper was someone I really wanted to bring in, and we had numerous discussions about it. While the possibility was open, we hadn’t initiated any talks to secure his appearance at that point. It was definitely a topic of conversation for us.”
If the showrunner announces the renewal this year, Titans Season 5 will be released in late 2024 or early 2025.
Similar Shows Like Titans
If you are a fan of Titans and are looking for similar shows to watch while waiting for the next season, here are some recommendations:
- Doom Patrol: A spin-off of Titans that follows a group of misfit superheroes who have been traumatized by their powers and pasts. The show features characters such as Robotman, Elasti-Woman, Negative Man, Crazy Jane, Cyborg, and The Chief. The show is also available on HBO Max.
- Young Justice: An animated series that focuses on a team of teenage superheroes who operate as a covert branch of the Justice League. The show features characters such as Robin, Superboy, Kid Flash, Miss Martian, Aqualad, Artemis, and more. The show is also available on HBO Max.
- The Boys: A live-action series that depicts a dark and cynical world where superheroes are corrupted by fame and power, and a group of vigilantes who try to expose their crimes. The show features characters such as Homelander, Starlight, Butcher, Hughie, Frenchie, Mother’s Milk, and more. The show is available on Amazon Prime Video.
- Invincible: An animated series that follows the son of the world’s most powerful superhero as he inherits his father’s abilities and learns the harsh realities of being a hero. The show features characters such as Invincible, Omni-Man, Atom Eve, Robot, Monster Girl, Rex Splode, and more. The show is available on Amazon Prime Video.
- Stargirl: A live-action series that follows a high school girl who inherits a powerful cosmic staff from a legendary superhero and forms a new generation of heroes. The show features characters such as Stargirl, S.T.R.I.P.E., Wildcat, Doctor Mid-Nite, Hourman, Starman, and more. The show is available on The CW and HBO Max.