Are you a fan of Warrior Nun, the Netflix series based on the comic book by Ben Dunn? If so, you might be wondering if there will be a third season of this action-packed fantasy drama. Here’s everything we know so far about Warrior Nun season 3.
- The canceled Netflix series “Warrior Nun” is now to be continued after all.
- Whether the new episodes will start on Netflix is not yet known.
- Series creator Simon Barry announced the happy news on Twitter.
How Many Seasons Does Warrior Nun Have?
Warrior Nun has two seasons, each consisting of 10 episodes. The first season premiered on July 2, 2020, and introduced us to Ava Silva (Alba Baptista), a 19-year-old orphan who wakes up in a morgue with a halo embedded in her back. She discovers that she is the chosen one of a secret sect of demon-hunting nuns called the Order of the Cruciform Sword. She also learns that she has superpowers, such as healing, telekinesis, and portal creation. Along with her new friends and allies, she faces various enemies, such as the Vatican, the tech mogul Jillian Salvius (Thekla Reuten), and the fallen angel Adriel (William Miller).
The second season dropped on November 10, 2022, and continued Ava’s journey as she tries to stop Adriel from unleashing his army of demons on the world. She also deals with her complicated feelings for JC (Emilio Sakraya), a former thief who helped her in season 1. Meanwhile, the Order of the Cruciform Sword faces internal conflicts and external threats, such as Cardinal Duretti (Joaquim de Almeida), who wants to take over the Vatican and use the halo for his own agenda.
What is the Ending of Warrior Nun?
The season 2 finale of Warrior Nun left us with several cliffhangers and unanswered questions. Here are some of them:
- Ava visits the other realm where Adriel came from and learns that he is not a fallen angel, but a rebel leader who stole the halo from his people. She also meets Areala (Guiomar Alonso), the original warrior nun who died fighting Adriel in the Middle Ages. Areala tells Ava that she is the true heir of the halo and that she must return it to its rightful owners.
- Ava returns to Earth with a new plan to end Adriel’s reign of terror. She convinces Shotgun Mary (Toya Turner), Sister Beatrice (Kristina Tonteri-Young), Sister Lilith (Lorena Andrea), Sister Camila (Olivia Delcán), Father Vincent (Tristán Ulloa), and Kristian Schaefer (Peter De Jersey) to join her in a final assault on Adriel’s cathedral. However, she also reveals that she will have to sacrifice herself and give up the halo in order to save the world.
- JC, who was possessed by Adriel in season 1 and freed by Ava in season 2, decides to help Ava in her mission. He confesses his love for her and kisses her goodbye before joining her team.
- Jillian Salvius, who was working with Adriel to create a portal device using his blood and her son’s DNA, realizes that Adriel has betrayed her and plans to use her device to bring his army of demons to Earth. She tries to stop him but fails. She then contacts Mother Superion (Sylvia De Fanti) and offers her help in exchange for protection.
- Cardinal Duretti, who was plotting to overthrow Pope John Paul III (Richard Clothier) and become the new leader of the Catholic Church, is exposed by Sister Beatrice and arrested by Vatican security. However, he manages to escape with the help of his loyal followers and vows revenge.
- The episode ends with Ava and her team entering Adriel’s cathedral and facing him in a final showdown.
Will there be a Warrior Nun Season 3?
The Netflix series “Warrior Nun” is getting a second chance. Series creator Simon Barry announced on Twitter that the series will return.
Many fans did not want to believe it when Netflix announced that the series “Warrior Nun” was canceled. Using the hashtag SaveWarriorNun, they called for a continuation of the popular series, and cast and crew also joined in the outrage.
And it helped, because series creator Simon Barry wrote on Twitter that the fantasy series has been saved and there will indeed be new episodes. However, he is not yet revealing whether the new episodes will appear on Netflix. But Barry promises that more information will follow soon.
“Warrior Nun” is not the first series to make it out of the woodwork again. The series “Lucifer” was also continued through a similar social media campaign by fans. Netflix bought the rights to the series from US broadcaster Fox in order to be able to produce further episodes.
Once before, Netflix sold its rights to a popular series so it could continue elsewhere. Netflix ended “One Day at a Time” after three seasons, and the pay TV channel Pop subsequently had a fourth season produced.
Why was Warrior Nun Season 3 cancelled?
Netflix did cancel the show series creator Simon Barry confirmed the news on Twitter, but now it is being continued.
Reason for canceling Warrior Nun after two seasons. However, some possible factors that could have influenced their decision are:
- The ratings and viewership numbers for Warrior Nun season 2 were not high enough to justify renewing the show for a third season. Netflix does not release official statistics for its shows, but according to third-party sources like FlixPatrol and Parrot Analytics, Warrior Nun season 2 did not perform as well as other Netflix originals in terms of demand and popularity.
- The production costs for Warrior Nun were too high compared to its returns. Warrior Nun is a high-concept show that requires a lot of visual effects, stunts, locations, and costumes. The show was filmed in Spain and Portugal, which added to its expenses. Netflix may have decided that investing more money into Warrior Nun was not worth it.
- The creative differences between Netflix and Simon Barry were too big to overcome. Barry has hinted that he had some disagreements with Netflix over the direction and tone of Warrior Nun. He has said that he wanted to make the show more dark and gritty, while Netflix wanted to make it more light-hearted and fun. He has also said that he had some issues with Netflix’s marketing strategy for Warrior Nun.
Is Warrior Nun coming back in 2023?
Update: Now it’s been confirmed that season 3 is coming, and it could take a while before any more details to come!
The short answer is: we don’t know yet. The long answer is: it depends on a lot of factors. Warrior Nun was cancelled by Netflix in December 2022, after releasing its second season in November 2022. The show’s creator and showrunner, Simon Barry, has been vocal about his desire to continue the story of Ava and the Order of the Cruciform Sword (OCS) in some form or another. He has revealed that he has ideas for a third season and beyond, and that he is exploring different options to make it happen.
Some of the options that Barry has mentioned are finding another streaming platform to pick up Warrior Nun for a third season, making a series of films based on the show, creating an animated follow-up, or continuing the story in graphic novels. He has also said that he is in contact with Productivity Media, the company that owns the rights to Warrior Nun, and that they are supportive of his vision.
Warrior Nun Season 3 Release Date: Speculation!
Warrior Nun was cancelled by Netflix last December, less than a week after the series, with the release of its second season, landed on Nielsen’s U.S. ranking of streaming originals. But showrunner Simon Barry has addressed the future of the series, and fans of the show are hoping that another streaming service would be willing to revive it.
Now fans have hope for season 3 of Warrior Nun, the show had been saved, Regardless, everyone is ecstatic that the series is back and #WarriorNunSAVED.
We could expect it to arrive sometime in 2024, based on the production schedule of the previous seasons. Season 1 was filmed from March to July 2019 and released in July 2020, while season 2 was filmed from October 2020 to March 2021 and released in November 2022. Assuming a similar time frame, Warrior Nun Season 3 would have taken about a year and a half to produce.
Warrior Nun Season 3 Plot: What’s next?
The second season of Warrior Nun ended with a lot of twists and turns that set up an intriguing premise for Warrior Nun Season 3. After discovering that Adriel was not an angel but an alien who stole the halo from another world, Ava and her team decided to stop him from opening a portal to his home planet and unleashing his army of monsters. However, they were betrayed by Father Vincent (Tristán Ulloa), who revealed himself as Adriel’s loyal follower and stabbed Ava with a sword.
Ava managed to survive thanks to her healing powers and entered the portal with Adriel, hoping to destroy him and his world once and for all. Meanwhile, Shotgun Mary (Toya Turner) sacrificed herself to detonate a bomb that would close the portal from Earth’s side. The rest of the warrior nuns escaped from Adriel’s cathedral with the help of Jillian Salvius (Thekla Reuten), who had developed a device that could track the halo’s energy.
In Warrior Nun Season 3, we would have likely seen Ava exploring Adriel’s alien world and trying to find a way back home. She would have also learned more about the origin of the halo and its connection to her destiny. On Earth, the warrior nuns would have mourned Mary’s death and continued their fight against Duretti and his followers, who still wanted to control the halo and use it for their own purposes. Jillian would have played a bigger role as an ally and a potential love interest for Beatrice (Kristina Tonteri-Young). We would have also seen more flashbacks of Areala (Guiomar Alonso), the first warrior nun who received the halo from Adriel.
In addition, after returning from the portal, the beloved Warrior Nun has to deal with many issues, such as her growing feelings for sister Beatrice, her complex relationship with Lillith (who has become a powerful Demon Nun), the influence of the Halo, and the prophecy of an upcoming Holy War. All of these could be featured in Warrior Nun season 3.
Warrior Nun Season 3 Cast: Who’s in it?
The Warrior Nun season 2 cast featured familiar faces and new additions. Alba Baptista reprised her role as Ava, the chosen Halo Bearer and the Order of the Cruciform Sword (OCS) leader. Her fellow nuns joined her: Toya Turner as Shotgun Mary, Kristina Tonteri-Young as Sister Beatrice, Lorena Andrea as Sister Lilith, and Olivia Delcán as Sister Camila. Thekla Reuten returned as Jillian Salvius, the CEO of Ark-Tech and a former Halo Bearer. William Miller played Adriel, the series’ fallen angel and main antagonist. Peter De Jersey portrayed Kristian Schaefer, Jillian’s ex-husband and Ava’s biological father. Joaquim de Almeida appeared as Cardinal Duretti, the head of the Vatican and a secret ally of Adriel.
Some new characters were introduced in season 2, such as Meena Rayann as Yasmine Amunet, a former nun who became Adriel’s lover; Richard Clothier as Cardinal William Foster, Duretti’s rival and a supporter of the OCS; Jack Mullarkey as Miguel, a hacker who helped Camila; Lope Haydn Evans as Michael, an angel who guided Ava; and Guiomar Alonso as Areala, the founder of the OCS and the first Halo Bearer.
If Warrior Nun is renewed for a third season, we can expect most of the main cast to return, except for those who died or left in season 2. We might also see some new faces joining the show.
Where can to Watch Warrior Nun?
Warrior Nun is a Netflix original series, which means you can only watch it on Netflix. You need a subscription to access the streaming service and its content. Warrior Nun has two seasons available to stream on Netflix, each consisting of eight episodes. The first season was released on July 2, 2020, and the second season was released on November 10, 2022.
Warrior Nun Season 3 Trailer: Is there a teaser?
Unfortunately, there is no trailer or teaser for Warrior Nun season 3 yet. Here’s a trailer of season 2 to refresh your memory.
Similar Shows Like Warrior Nun
If you’re looking for more shows like Warrior Nun, you might want to check out these titles:
- Motherland: Fort Salem: A fantasy series that follows three young women who are trained to use magic as soldiers in an alternate America where witches ended their persecution by cutting a deal with the government.
- Dickinson: A comedy-drama series that explores the life of Emily Dickinson, a rebellious and visionary poet who defied the norms of her time.
- First Kill: A horror-romance series that follows Juliette Fairmont, a vampire who must make her first kill to join her powerful family, but falls in love with Calliope Burns, a vampire hunter from a rival clan.
- Fate: The Winx Saga: A fantasy series that follows Bloom Peters, a fairy who enrolls at Alfea College to learn how to control her dangerous fire magic while dealing with love, rivalries, and dark secrets.
- The Order: A horror-fantasy series that follows Jack Morton, a college student who joins a secret society of magic users and werewolves to avenge his mother’s death.