Big Sky, the ABC series created by David E. Kelley and based on The Highway series of books by C. J. Box. The show follows two private detectives, Jenny Hoyt (Katheryn Winnick) and Cassie Dewell (Kylie Bunbury), as they investigate some seriously bizarre and dangerous cases in Montana. The show has been a hit with viewers and critics alike, and has been renewed for a third season, subtitled Deadly Trails, which premiered on September 21, 2022. But what about Big Sky season 4? Will there be more Big Sky adventures for Jenny and Cassie? Here’s everything we know so far.
How Many Seasons Does Big Sky Have?
So far, Big Sky has three seasons, with the first one consisting of 16 episodes, the second one of 15 episodes, and the third one of 16 episodes. The last episode of the third season aired on ABC on January 18, 2023 with only 13 episodes.
What is the Ending of Big Sky?
Big Sky Season 3 ends with a shocking twist that leaves the fate of several characters hanging in the balance. The season finale, titled “The End is Near”, follows Cassie, Jenny, and Jerrie as they try to stop Ronald and Scarlet from executing their sinister plan. Along the way, they encounter unexpected allies and enemies, and discover shocking secrets that change everything.
The episode culminates in a violent confrontation at a remote cabin, where Ronald and Scarlet have taken Cassie hostage. Jenny and Jerrie arrive in time to rescue her, but not before Ronald shoots Cassie in the chest. As Cassie lies bleeding on the floor, Ronald and Scarlet escape in a car, only to be pursued by Lindor and his team.
The chase ends in a fiery crash that seemingly kills Ronald and Scarlet, but leaves their bodies unidentifiable. Meanwhile, Cassie is rushed to the hospital, where she flatlines on the operating table. The final scene shows Cassie’s eyes opening, suggesting that she may have survived.
However, the showrunners have not confirmed whether Cassie is alive or dead, leaving fans to speculate until Season 4.
Will there be a Big Sky Season 4?
According to Variety, ABC has decided to end three of its shows: The Company You Keep, Alaska Daily, and Big Sky. The network cited low ratings as the main reason for the cancellation. This is not the first time that ABC has axed some of its series this year, as it struggles to attract viewers.
We are hopeful that there will be a Big Sky season 4. The show has a lot of potential to explore new stories and characters in the Montana setting, and we are curious to see how Jenny and Cassie will deal with the aftermath of season 3. Amazon Prime Video or Netflix can pick the show up. Plus, we are not ready to say goodbye to this dynamic duo just yet.
Is Big Sky coming back in 2023?
That’s the million-dollar question. As of now, ABC has officially canceled the Big Sky. However, there are some positive signs that suggest that the show might come back for another season. For one thing, Big Sky has been a ratings success for ABC, averaging around 4 million viewers per episode in season 2. For another thing, Big Sky has a loyal fan base that is eager to see more of Jenny and Cassie’s adventures. And finally, Big Sky has a lot of source material to draw from, as C.J. Box has written six books in The Highway series so far, with more to come.
Big Sky Season 4 Release Date: Speculation!
If ABC decides to renew Big Sky for season 4, or if Amazon Prime Video or Netflix, decides to pick up the canceled show, we can expect it to premiere sometime in 2024. The show has followed a consistent pattern of airing in the fall or winter seasons since its debut in November 2020. However, this could change depending on the production schedule and the network’s programming plans.
Big Sky Season 4 Plot: What’s next?
The third season of Big Sky ended with a shocking cliffhanger that left fans wondering what will happen next. The show, which follows a team of private investigators in Montana, has been praised for its twists and turns, as well as its diverse and complex characters. Here are some possible scenarios for the fourth season of Big Sky, based on the events of the finale and the hints from the creators.
- Cassie and Jenny will have to deal with the aftermath of Ronald’s escape. Ronald, the serial killer who has been tormenting them since the first season, managed to evade capture once again, thanks to his new partner Scarlet. He also left behind a gruesome message for Cassie and Jenny, implying that he will come back for them. How will they cope with this threat and their guilt for letting him slip away?
- Lindor and Denise will face new challenges in their relationship. Lindor, the US Marshal who has been helping Cassie and Jenny, finally confessed his feelings for Denise, Jenny’s assistant. However, their romance might be complicated by Lindor’s health issues and Denise’s involvement in a shady scheme with her ex-husband. Will they be able to overcome these obstacles and stay together?
- Jerrie and KJ will explore their potential as a musical duo. Jerrie, the singer-songwriter who was kidnapped by Ronald in the first season, found a new friend and collaborator in KJ, a young rapper who was also a victim of human trafficking. They bonded over their shared trauma and their love for music, and decided to pursue their dreams together. Will they succeed in the competitive industry and heal from their past?
- Blake and Cheyenne will face the consequences of their actions. Blake, the son of a powerful rancher who was accused of killing his wife, teamed up with Cheyenne, his sister-in-law who was secretly in love with him, to frame his father for the murder. However, their plan backfired when Blake’s father survived the attack and vowed to get revenge. Will they be able to escape his wrath and start a new life together?
- New characters and mysteries will be introduced. The showrunners have teased that the fourth season will feature new faces and stories that will expand the world of Big Sky. They have also hinted that some of the existing characters might have hidden secrets or connections that will be revealed in surprising ways. Who are these new characters and what are they hiding? How will they affect the lives of the main protagonists?
Big Sky Season 4 Cast: Who’s in it?
- Kylie Bunbury as Cassie Dewell, a former cop turned private investigator who works with Jenny Hoyt.
- Katheryn Winnick as Jenny Hoyt, a former cop turned private investigator who works with Cassie Dewell.
- Brian Geraghty as Ronald Pergman, a serial killer who has been on the run since season one.
- Ryan Phillippe as Cody Hoyt, Jenny’s ex-husband and Cassie’s former partner who was killed in season one.
- Jensen Ackles as Beau Arlen, the new sheriff of Lewis and Clark County who joins forces with Cassie and Jenny in season three.
- Reba McEntire as Sunny Barnes, an outfitter who leads a backcountry trip that goes horribly wrong in season three.
- Rex Linn as Buck Barnes, Sunny’s husband who is involved in a kidnapping scheme in season three.
- Cree Cicchino as Emily Arlen, Beau’s daughter who is kidnapped by Buck in season three.
- Dedee Pfeiffer as Denise Brisbane, Cassie and Jenny’s office manager who is also kidnapped by Buck in season three.
The cast of Big Sky season 4 has not been officially announced yet, but we can assume that most of the main actors will return for another round of action and drama. However, some characters might not make it out alive from season three, so there could be some surprises in store. Season four might also introduce some new faces to spice things up.
Where can to Watch Big Sky?
Big Sky is an ABC show, which means you can watch it on your local ABC channel or stream it on Hulu or ABC.com. You can also catch up on previous seasons on Hulu or buy them on Amazon Prime Video or iTunes. If you live outside the US, you might be able to watch Big Sky on Disney+ or other streaming platforms depending on your region.
Big Sky Season 4 Trailer: Is there a teaser?
Unfortunately, there is no trailer or teaser for Big Sky season 4 yet. That’s because the show has been officially cancelled by ABC. We will have to wait until the network decides about the show’s future, which could take a few months. However, if Big Sky does get renewed for a fourth season, we can expect a trailer or teaser to drop sometime before the premiere date.
Similar Shows Like Big Sky
If you love Big Sky and can’t get enough of crime thrillers with strong female leads, you might want to check out some similar shows like:
- Mare of Easttown: A HBO miniseries starring Kate Winslet as a detective investigating a murder in a small Pennsylvania town.
- The Undoing: A HBO miniseries starring Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant as a wealthy couple whose lives unravel after a violent death.
- The Sinner: A USA Network anthology series starring Bill Pullman as a detective who investigates why ordinary people commit heinous crimes.
- Yellowstone: A Paramount Network series starring Kevin Costner as the patriarch of a ranching family who faces threats from land developers and rival factions.
- True Detective: A HBO anthology series that follows different detectives and their cases across different time periods and locations.