Borgen is a Danish political drama that follows the rise and fall of Birgitte Nyborg, the first female prime minister of Denmark. The show has been praised for its realistic portrayal of the challenges and dilemmas faced by politicians, journalists, and spin doctors in the modern world. Borgen has also been hailed as one of the best TV series of all time by critics and audiences alike.
The show ran for three seasons from 2010 to 2013, and then went on a hiatus for almost a decade. But in 2020, Netflix announced that it had revived the show for a fourth season, titled Borgen: Power and Glory, which premiered on June 2, 2022. The fourth season picks up where the third season left off, with Nyborg returning to politics as the leader of a new green party, while her former spin doctor Kasper Juul struggles with his personal demons.
But what about the fifth season? Will there be more Borgen after Power and Glory? Here’s everything we know so far about Borgen Season 5.
Borgen Season 5 Plot: What’s next?
The synopsis of the fifth season is still unknown and can give us a lot of surprises cause the end of the current season left a lot of story lines to explore. Will Nyborg be able to maintain her integrity and vision in the face of political pressure and public scrutiny? Will Juul overcome his addiction and trauma and find happiness with his family? Will Katrine Fønsmark, Nyborg’s former journalist ally, continue to expose corruption and injustice in the media? And what about the other characters, such as Torben Friis, Hanne Holm, Bent Sejrø, Philip Christensen, and more? How will their lives and careers evolve in the turbulent times of Danish politics?
One thing is certain: Borgen Season 5 will not shy away from tackling relevant and controversial issues, such as climate change, immigration, populism, feminism, terrorism, and more. The show will also continue to offer a nuanced and realistic depiction of the complex relationships between politics, media, and society.
Borgen Season 5 Cast: Who’s in it?
The cast of Borgen Season 5 has not been officially confirmed yet, but we can expect most of the main actors to reprise their roles from the previous seasons. That means we will likely see:
- Sidse Babett Knudsen as Birgitte Nyborg
- Pilou Asbæk as Kasper Juul
- Birgitte Hjort Sørensen as Katrine Fønsmark
- Søren Malling as Torben Friis
- Benedikte Hansen as Hanne Holm
- Lars Knutzon as Bent Sejrø
- Mikael Birkkjær as Philip Christensen
- Freja Riemann as Laura Christensen
- Emil Poulsen as Magnus Christensen
Of course, there might be some new additions to the cast as well, especially if the fifth season introduces new characters or storylines. We will update this section as soon as we have more information.
Will there be Borgen Season 5?
The answer is: maybe. Netflix has not officially renewed or canceled Borgen for a fifth season yet, so there is still hope for fans who want more of the Danish drama. However, there are also some factors that might make a fifth season unlikely or difficult to produce.
First of all, Borgen is not a Netflix original series. It was originally produced by DR, the Danish public broadcaster, which still owns the rights to the show. Netflix only acquired the global distribution rights for the first three seasons and co-produced the fourth season with DR. That means that any decision about a fifth season would have to involve both Netflix and DR, which might complicate matters.
Secondly, Borgen is not a cheap or easy show to make. It requires a large cast and crew, high production values, extensive research, and meticulous writing. The show also has to balance realism and drama, which is not an easy feat. Moreover, the show has to maintain its high standards of quality and consistency, which might be hard to achieve after four seasons.
Thirdly, Borgen is not a very popular or profitable show for Netflix. Despite its critical acclaim and loyal fan base, Borgen is not a mainstream hit like Stranger Things or The Crown. It is a niche show that appeals mostly to viewers who are interested in foreign dramas or political themes. It is also a subtitled show that requires more attention and concentration from viewers than dubbed or English-language shows. These factors might limit the audience and revenue potential of Borgen for Netflix, which might make the streaming giant reluctant to invest more money and resources into the show.
All these factors might make Borgen Season 5 a risky or unfeasible proposition for Netflix and DR. However, there is also a chance that the show might surprise us and get renewed for another season, especially if the fourth season proves to be a success and generates enough demand and buzz for more Borgen. After all, the show has already defied the odds and returned after a long hiatus, so anything is possible.
Borgen Season 5 Release Date: Speculation!
If Borgen Season 5 does get greenlit, when can we expect it to premiere? Well, that’s hard to say, since there is no official announcement or confirmation yet. But we can try to make some educated guesses based on the previous seasons.
The first three seasons of Borgen aired between 2010 and 2013, with a gap of one year between each season. The fourth season, however, took much longer to produce and premiere, due to the hiatus and the pandemic. The fourth season was announced in 2020 and premiered in 2022, which means it took about two years to make.
If we assume that the fifth season would follow a similar timeline, then we could expect it to premiere sometime in 2025, if it gets renewed in 2023. However, this is just a rough estimate and it could vary depending on many factors, such as the availability of the cast and crew, the budget and schedule of the production, the length and complexity of the scripts, and the distribution and marketing plans of Netflix and DR.
So, for now, we can only hope and wait for some official news or updates about Borgen Season 5. Until then, we can enjoy the fourth season of Borgen: Power and Glory on Netflix and rewatch the previous seasons as well.
Borgen Season 5 Trailer: Is there a teaser?
Unfortunately, there is no trailer or teaser for Borgen Season 5 yet, since the show has not been renewed or filmed yet. However, you can watch the trailer for Borgen: Power and Glory below, which gives you a glimpse of what to expect from the fourth season of the show.
Similar Shows Like Borgen
If you love Borgen and want to watch more shows like it, here are some recommendations for you:
- The West Wing: This classic American political drama follows the lives and work of the staff of the White House under President Josiah Bartlet. The show is known for its witty dialogue, smart characters, and realistic depiction of the American political system.
- The Crown: This British historical drama chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II from her ascension to the throne in 1952 to the present day. The show explores the personal and political challenges faced by the monarch and her family in different eras of British history.
- House of Cards: This American political thriller follows the ruthless rise of Frank Underwood, a congressman who schemes his way to become the president of the United States. The show is based on a British series of the same name, which is also worth watching.
- Forbrydelsen (The Killing): This Danish crime drama follows the investigation of various murder cases by detective Sarah Lund and her partners. The show is known for its dark atmosphere, complex plot twists, and strong female lead.
- Bron/Broen (The Bridge): This Scandinavian crime drama follows the collaboration of a Swedish and a Danish detective who have to work together to solve crimes that occur on both sides of the bridge that connects their countries. The show is known for its gripping suspense, quirky characters, and social commentary.